Saturday, January 2, 2010







With the cold,dark days of Winter upon us I have taken along with my cats to birdwatching from the front windows! So far they have been far and few. But since we are now in an artic blast with feet of snow possible, temps with windchills in the teens and below and with their natural sources of food disappearing; they are starting to appear. So I put out fresh suet, suet cakes and cracked corn, plus old bread, sometimes leftover potatoes, popcorn and even dog food the boys didn't finish. It is soon devoured by the many hungry mouths. My boys start their watching as soon as the curtains open, frist light appears bringing the birds. Then towards dusk they arrive for their last feeding frenzy of the night. Then it is off to wind shelter from the weather. In recent years even the blue birds winter over, staying in their houses, throughout my yard. Guess they too must be able to find enough to sustain them through winter.
Well now I have posted and must do the dreaded dishes, then a HOT shower, cuddle-up and read a book. So everyone stay warm, and look forward to warmer days to come, though I am afraid not in the near future. Smile

5 comments:

  1. We too have been feeding the birds. And boy have they been hungry! The eat here all day long...lots of cardinals, and some smaller birds. Haven't gotten my bird book out this year to identify...Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awfully cold...we've had a brief cold snap here too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, the birds have been flocking to the feeders and the suet - especially the bluebirds. Things must be getting scarce in the fields and woods. I put out four large cups of sunflower/seeds and it is already gone. Very cold here too. As Dad used to say, "Someone left the door to Canada open again." Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops....I meant to say the Blue Jays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feed a LOT of birds in my front yard feeders .. I always make sure the suets are full when I go away for a few days. My birds eat a lot ..

    ReplyDelete